Whether you are traveling from college to go back home for the holidays or hitting the road to visit your parents, grandparents, and/or in-laws, it is imperative that each and every one of you prep your car for holiday travels. Many motorists will be on the road, so you can expect your car to run for longer periods. The last thing you want to deal with over the holidays is a broken-down vehicle. That is why we encourage you to check the following areas of your vehicle to ensure it is roadworthy:
- Fluids - This includes your engine oil, coolant, windshield washer fluid, brake fluid, and more. Your vehicle has many, and it is important that they are clean, effective, and topped off.
- Car Battery - Open your hood and see if there is any corrosion on your battery terminals. Next, you’ll want to check for signs of damage (swelling, loose connections, bad wiring). If that passes, you should be okay. However, we recommend getting a battery test to ensure it can provide reliable start-ups. Batteries tend to show signs of weakness when they are 3 years old or older.
- Belts & Hoses - Hoses and belts are what make up a majority of the vehicle’s systems, including the power steering and cooling system. All you have to do is make sure they aren’t loose, cracked, or damaged.
- Brakes - Are your brakes showing signs of wear and tear? Make sure your vehicle can stop in with adequate timing. Additionally, don’t forget to check the brake fluid.
- Tires - Before hitting the road, please be sure to check your tire pressure with a gauge. Driving with proper inflation ensures your car is efficient. Plus, it will help in extending the life of your tires and prevent blowouts.
We hope you have a safe trip to your destination over the holidays. If you need your vehicle inspected and/or serviced, we welcome you to call or visit the local experts at Foreign Auto Services Inc. in Chantilly, VA, today.