The winter weather can be rough on your car, truck, or SUV. You may experience hard starts, rough idling, stalling, and even have an accident. You should feel lucky if you have a garage as you run a lower chance of experiencing these problems. Since cold weather can worsen pre-existing issues, it is essential to have a check-up to get your car the necessary repairs at the start of the season.
TIPS TO KEEP YOUR VEHICLE GOING STRONG
Here are some of our suggestions on cold-weather vehicle maintenance and how to keep your car running in frigid conditions:
- Replace your filters (air, engine, fuel, etc.).
- Test your HVAC system, including the defrosters. The defrosters will eliminate moisture build-up on your glass surfaces.
- Test all your lights(headlights, taillights, and brake lights) to ensure they're lit and aimed correctly.
- Check the level and concentration of your engine coolant to ensure your engine is in healthy condition.
- Inspect your belts, clamps, and hoses for signs of wear and tear. A fluid leak in the winter can leave you stranded on the side of the road.
- Replace your windshield wiper blades. We all know the struggle of trying to see through a dirty and streaky windshield. It's no fun and can be very hazardous.
- Test your battery charge. Extreme weather can take a toll on car batteries. Unless you have the battery tested, there is no easy way to determine the condition of your battery. If your battery is over several years old, you may need to replace it altogether.
- Examine your tires for sufficient tread depth and uneven wear.
- Pack an emergency kit and weather-appropriate supplies in your car (gloves, boots, blankets, flares, ice scraper, small shovel, sand (or kitty litter), flashlight, and a cell phone charger).
For any assistance on the above checklist items, we invite you to Foreign Auto Services Inc. Our team always puts you and your safety first. You can call us at (703) 935-4600 or schedule an appointment online with us today.